Southern Living Meatloaf – Comfort Food at Its Best
The aroma of a homemade meatloaf wafting through the air evokes many pleasant memories of childhood – and this Southern Living Meatloaf recipe is sure to bring all those warm and fuzzy feelings once again. With its bold and unique flavor thanks to the smoked paprika and roasted tomatoes, it’s no wonder that this classic dish remains a favorite on dinner tables all across the country.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted, diced tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350°F and lightly grease a 9×13 inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat, add in onions and garlic sauté for 3 minutes.
- Stir in paprika, salt, and pepper and continue to cook for additional 4 minutes.
- Pour tomatoes into the skillet and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in parsley leaves and remove from heat.
- In a small bowl whisk together ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard.
- In a large bowl place ground beef, parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and eggs.
- Add in the tomato mixture, season with salt and pepper, and combine everything until the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Shape the meat mixture into a 9×5 inches loaf and place it in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour ketchup mixture on top of the meatloaf and spread with a spoon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 55 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F.
- Allow to cool for 10 minutes and serve.
This Southern Living Meatloaf recipe features classic flavors and the added slight smokiness of the paprika bring a delightful twist. The generous addition of the roasted tomatoes gives this meatloaf it’s incredible texture and adds a bit of a sweetness that will leave everyone coming back for more. Enjoying this dish is like taking a quick weekend vacation to your favorite barbecue spot — it’s a guaranteed crowd pleaser!
For those looking to add extra flavor to the mix, you can try adding in some diced jalapeños for a subtle kick, or try frying some bacon before mixing it into the beef mixture. Whichever way you try it, this delicious Southern Living Meatloaf is sure to become one of your favorites