Kaufmann’s Thumbprint Cookie: An Irresistible Alpine Treat
Kaufmann’s Thumbprint Cookie is a classic Swiss treat, perfect for any time you need a sweet pick-me-up. Thanks to its versatility, Kaufmann’s is a great cookie for any occasion, from birthdays to everyday snack time. Although the origins of this delicious recipe are unclear, it is believed to have been created in the 19th century by bakers in Switzerland’s idyllic Alpine region.
The unique flavor profile and texture of this cookie make it an irresistible treat. Its crisp outer layer pairs perfectly with its soft, pastry-like interior, while the jam-filled cavities ensure an extra burst of sweetness in every bite. Despite its simplicity, the ingredients and flavorings are carefully balanced to provide a complex treat that’s sure to please the most discerning palate.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup raspberry jam
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the flour and salt until completely combined.
- Roll the dough into 1-inch balls and place on the prepared baking sheet.
- Using your thumb, create an indentation in the center of each ball and fill each one with a teaspoon of jam.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and let cool before serving.
Kaufmann’s Thumbprint Cookie is simple to make, but the results are hard to beat. The key is to let the dough rest for a few minutes before rolling so that it’s easier to form and fill the indentations with the jam. This will ensure a light and fluffy mouth-feel and help prevent crumbling.
These adorable little cookies are perfect for any special occasion, but they’re just as delicious as an everyday snack. Serve them alongside a cup of hot tea for the perfect winter afternoon indulgence. You can also switch things up with different fillings such as Nutella, lemon curd, or even peanut butter.
Kaufmann’s Thumbprint Cookie is a delightful Swiss classic that’s sure to please any crowd. With its irresistible combination of textures and flavors, it’s no wonder why this simple recipe has been around for more than a century. Try making a batch of these mouth-watering morsels and you won’t be disappointed!