- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 large egg whites, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup half-and-half, at room temperature
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Place paper liners in a 12-cup muffin tin. Prepare the cupcakes: Combine the flours, baking powder, potato starch, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt in a bowl with a whisk.
- In a separate bowl, cream the butter and sugars with a mixer on low speed until combined, 6 to 8 minutes. Gradually mix in the vanilla and egg whites. Scrape down the sides of the bowl; continue mixing until light and fluffy. Add the flour mixture in 3 batches, alternating with the maple syrup and half-and-half, mixing after each addition and ending with flour. Mix until the ingredients are just combined; do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin tin, filling each cup about three-quarters of the way. Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 30-35 minutes. Cool completely before frosting.
Whipped Cream Frosting Ingredients
- 4 oz cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Using a stand mixer, whip the cream cheese for 5 minutes until smooth.
- Slowly add the heavy cream and beat on medium until it starts to thicken.
- Add the granulated sugar and vanilla and continue to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Lower the speed to low as you slowly add the powered sugar (it makes a bit of a mess so help incorporate it with a spatula if needed).
- Continue to beat on medium for 5 minutes.