Tasty and delicious brownies that are much healthier than most brownie recipes I have seen. The added zucchini has virtually no fats or cholesterol and is has no calories. Zucchini is also high in fibre and rich in anti oxidants. You will not even notice a difference when you eat these brownies except to say they have a wonderful texture and a lovely taste.
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated zucchini (about 2 medium zucchinis)
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- For the icing
- 6 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 1/2 oz margarine or butter
- 2 cups icing sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and flour a 9 x 12inch baking dish.
- In a large bowl, mix together the oil, sugar and 2 teaspoons vanilla until well blended.
- Combine the flour, 1/2 cup cocoa, baking soda and salt; stir into the sugar mixture.
- Fold in the zucchini and walnuts. Spread evenly into the prepared dish.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, until brownies spring back when gently touched.
- To make the icing, melt together the 6 tablespoons of cocoa and margarine; set aside to cool.
- In a medium bowl, blend together the icing sugar, milk and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla.
- Stir in the cocoa mixture. Spread over the cooled brownies before cutting into squares.