Strawberries are plentiful at the moment where I live so I decided to try something a little fancy this week and make this wonderful strawberry cream eclairs. The inspiration came from Blondie at Baking With Blondie. Most of this recipe is hers although I decided I didnt need to make chocolate sauce and I would go for donut shaped eclairs. The recipe was surprisingly easy and when I served these for morning tea my friends all thought I had bough them so that did wonders for my cooking ego hehe.
- 1 cup water
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a heavy-bottomed sauce pan over medium heat, melt the butter then add the water.
- Sift in the all-purpose flour, add the salt and sugar, and stir all ingredients together.
- Pull off the heat and let cool for a minute or so – we don’t want the upcoming eggs to cook in the dough/pan.
- Add in the eggs one at a time until incorporated and whisk together until thoroughly combined
- Fill a large piping bag with the warm dough.
- Pipe the dough onto a parchment-lined cookie sheet in 3 inch diameter circles at least an inch away from each other.
- Bake for about 15 to 20 minutes in the oven When they’re golden brown, and the center is cooked through, remove from oven and let cool.
Strawberry Whipped Cream
- 1 lb strawberries, stems removed and sliced
- 1 pint of heavy whipping cream
- 1 t vanilla
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- Throw your metal mixing bowl and whisk attachment into the freezer.
- Add strawberries to your food processor and puree the life out of them. If you want little chunks of strawberry in your cream then stop while they still remain visible. Personally I prefer a smoother texture.
- Remove mixer bowl and whisk from freezer, and place onto your stand mixer. Add heavy whipping cream and whip until stiff peaks form (starting on low for about a minute, then low-medium for a minute, and medium for a minute… on and on until you hit high). When stiff peaks form, add vanilla and powdered sugar.
- Blend. Taste. Adjust sweetness to your liking.
- Take your little donut shaped eclairs and gently cut them in half.
- Leaving the bottom half where it is pipe your strawberry cream mixture around the eclair.
- Cover with the top half of the eclair and dust with icing sugar.