I was really excited to find this recipe for a full flavored Mexican casserole that will not leave you feeling hungry despite it being low in calories and fat. The jalapeños really give this meal a nice kick so if you don’t like hot stuff just leave them out although I read where hot food is good for losing weight so I kept them in. You can also add another packet of taco seasoning if you like your food that little bit spicier.
The recipe makes loads of food so there definitely will be plenty of left overs unless you are feeding a small army. Talking left overs it is worth noting that I had no trouble freezing them and microwaving them when next they were needed. The best part for people permanently on a diet like myself is that each large serving is only 6.5 weight watchers points. Wow!
Last time I made it this casserole I only had 1/2 pound of beef so I used chicken instead and it tasted just fine. Serve with chopped green onions or lettuce and plenty of sour cream. Any way I am sure you are all bugging to know how to make this Mexican casserole so here is the recipe. I love feedback so if you have any comments on how this turned out for you please do share with us. God bless.
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef (drained or rinsed!)
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1/4 cup canned jalapeno slices, chopped
- 2 cups fresh tomatoes, chopped or 1 (15 ounce) can diced canned tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can kernel corn (drained)
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
- 8 corn tortillas
- 3/4 cup nonfat sour cream
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat Mexican cheese blend, shredded
- 1/3 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped, to taste
- Brown ground beef and chopped onions in large skillet; brown 10 to 12 minutes or until thoroughly cooked, stirring constantly. Drain well and rinse with warm water to remove all fat; return beef/onions to skillet.
- Add corn, black beans, tomatoes, chilies/jalapenos and taco seasoning mix; mix well. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile spray 12×8-inch (2-quart) baking dish with nonstick cooking spray. Cut each tortilla in half; place 8 halves in bottom of sprayed baking dish, overlapping slightly.
- Spoon half of beef mixture evenly over tortillas. Spoon sour cream over beef mixture; spread evenly. Top with remaining 8 tortilla halves and remaining beef mixture.
- (Thaw overnight if frozen) Heat oven to 350ºF. Bake at 350ºF for 25 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with cheese. Cover; let stand 5 minutes or until cheese is melted. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve with fresh chopped lettuce, tomatoes, salsa, black olives, etc.